Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kinship


The person I interviewed is my father. He was born in Rushden, England. He was not at all close with his dads family, infact, his father had been out of the picture since he was 5 years old. He is still alive, however, my father and my family have very little - almost next to no- contact with him. However, his mothers family (from Rome, Italy) was around more and therefore he grew up in a situation with more Italian culture and influence than British. He is not sure on the background of his father. He believe's that he is English and possibly French - but he's not too sure. His siblings aren't sure either. They don't know any of his family members that they could ask this question to. And his mother (my grandmother) is dead. 

This interview was a little awkward only because there are a lot of mixed feelings towards his own father. He has never been close with the family and I believe that his dad sometimes talks to my aunt (my dads sister) but not very rarely. I have met my grandfather once when I went to England to see other family. He did not talk to me or acknowledge me, so I did not really get to know him or what he was like. The interview was okay otherwise. If I was interviewing someone who wasn't related to me, I would not have felt the personal connection to it and therefore would not have felt as awkward or uncomfortable. 

There is definitely an emphasis on maternal lines as they do not really know anyone related to my dads father. When I was telling my mom about this assignment later (my parents are divorced and both remarried) she said that she was trying to do a family tree maybe 20 something years ago and she had written a letter to my grandfather asking him questions about his family. He wrote back telling my mom to mind her own business. My mom told my grandmother about it (my dads mom) and she said that it was because his sister was a prostitute and he and the rest of their family was ashamed by this.  My dad's mothers family is Italian. So they are very stereotypical. I have tons of cousins and "uncles" (ya know, those people who you arent really related to but they've been family friends so long they're practically an uncle. I'm not sure if this happens with really american families). In my dads family everyone is white and italian. So the ethnic differences thing doesn't really come into play. The only thing I could relate to this is that my dad, my uncle and my aunt all have "american" spouses. However, my Step mom's family is also italian so culturally we do the same kind of things that her family does and have the same attitudes about things so it made getting along with them really easy as we were all kind of on the same guido page already. 

I know my dads family pretty well. My mom's family we really only talk to her mom, (her dad ignores everyone and lives in florida), my great grandmother (we just had to get her committed over the weekend because she's 94 years old and going crazy. She's basically trying to kill herself in the hospital. very stressful), and her brothers. I do not see her brothers that often, however. I definitely am closer with my dads family. In typical Italian fashion, we would go to my dad's mothers (my grandmothers) house every sunday for family dinner when she was alive. Often, I would swing by my grandmothers work and take her home when she was off work and have dinner with her and my uncles. My dads sisters kids  and my sister and i are a month apart from eachother so my cousins and i were very close growing up. 

I am not really aware of times when situations have come up where someone needs to be the decison maker in my family. I know when my parents were married they seem to have an equal vote as to what goes on in the household. When my grandother was dying, my dad, his two brothers and his sister seemed to all be involved in the decisions that went on with that situation. This past weekend with my great grandmother drama, my grandmother, mom and great aunt all had equal say in what was happening with that as the three of them are her power of attorney and executors of the trust. 

Family members who marry into the family as opposed to people who are born into it are generally treated the same I suppose. My mom told me once that when her and my dad started dating my grandmother was mean to her but after she started having babies, she became nice. I don't know if this was the case with my aunts husband. I do know that my grandma didn't really like my uncles wife…however, no one really does. So she wasn't alone. She's really hard to get along with. 

I do not believe there are different attitudes in my family that are based in gender. If there are, I have never noticed it. 

I didn't really learn anything I wasn't already aware of. Because I grew up with no grandfathers or anything like that, these kinds of questions had already come up at an early age. My parents were always pretty open with my sister and i on the situation. So I would say that I pretty much knew all of this before diving into this assignment. 




12 comments:

  1. Angelina, well done on your post. I am not close with my father so I do not know much about his side of the family in detail. These interviews and family tree projects throughout my school career has always been focused on my mother's side of the family so it is interesting learning about how other people interact and learn from their father. I also appreciate how much you shared about your family in the third paragraph and the Italian culture. It helps understand what I have learned of your family thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my family is pretty unique, My dads family all has accents and such so they always make fun of my cousins and i because we sound like "typical californians"

      Delete
  2. Off the top of my head, I want to ask you when your dad was born? Given the touchy relationship between England and Italy following WWII, I can't help but wonder if that came into play with your father's parents. Just a thought...

    Your comment on the issue of awkwardness was very interesting as most people felt the opposite. Believe it or not, I agree with you. Without the personal connections, I always felt more comfortable interviewing perfect strangers than I ever felt interrogating (for that is always how it seemed) family members. There is a certain freedom and curiosity involved in having not firsthand knowledge of your subject's background.

    I appreciate your openness with your family's story. You reported it in a straightforward, honest way that would make any anthropologist proud.

    I kind of got a chuckle over your comment about your mom having trouble with your dad's mom until after she had a baby. This is pretty common in many traditional cultures that emphasize paternal lines of descent. The woman's job is to find a husband, so in general, son-in-laws are a welcome addition to the family. Daughter-in-laws are there to produce an heir. Until they demonstrate that they can do that "job", women marrying into a family are often met with reserve. From your description, I'd say your family emphasizes patrilineal descent patterns, common in both Italy and in England (and France for that matter).

    Thorough, interesting and well-written. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my dad was born in 1963. his dad was cheating on his mom with another woman and was physically abusive to my grandmother. I think after my youngest uncle was gone, he just up and left to be with the other woman full time. I am not entirely sure on the specifics of the situation but from what I have heard and pieced together over the years, I think that is the gist of it.

      If I was interviewing a perfect stranger I would get super intrusive with the questions. I usually figure that i'll probably never see this person again so what the heck ;)

      Delete
  3. First off, I actually have to agree with you and Professor Rodriguez. Without the personal connection I find it a little bit easier to talk to people about personal matters, it allows a little bit more freedom because sometimes with people you know you never want to say "too much". I wish I could have interviewed my dad because I would of learned more considering I know majority of what my mom had told me in our interview. I couldn't interview my dad because he also had issues with his dad and I know talking about anything family realted would just get him down. Very sorry to hear about your great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your sympathies.

      I had doubts about interviewing my dad because I knew it would be slightly uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel like we need to get out of our comfort zones to grow as a person...and with a family member it makes it a tiiiiiny bit easier to be in an awkward situation...kind of.. haha

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is similar to my situation. I've heard of my Father-in-law and the rest of the "in-laws". Also, he has three daughters so needless to say he loves me. Another similarity that I read was neither of us knows much about our Grandfather's on our Father's side. I feel that it is important to know where we came from so i hope that both of us someday get that answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad has two daughters - me and my sister. We always tease him about how he probably wanted a boy so he'd have someone to work on cars with and such. When we were younger he had us doing all of that stuff with him. I'm the only female out of all my friends who knows how to weld anything :)

      ive only officially met my grandfather on my dads side once. he didnt say anything to me or my sister. it was actually a super weird meeting..very uncomfortable. I wish i did know more about him and his family thought. It would be great to know where i came from. My knowledge is kind of limited on that side. My moms dad is the same way. I think its really interesting how both of my grandfathers are d-bags. luckily for me, i had two awesome great grandfathers - even though i only got to enjoy them for a short while .

      Delete
  6. I cannot believe how small everyone's diagrams are. I ended up with a 4 page outline of my mothers relatives. I spent half a day on the diagram and finally gave up. You have an interesting heritage, there must be a lot of culture there. My family is all from a farm in Arkansas, not very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the diagram thing was really weird for me...i think i remember doing this when i took physical anthropology a semester ago. The shapes thing throws me off. I study law usually so whenever something around me isnt law based I start freaking out lol

      Delete
  7. I was very relieved to of read your post :) because I didn't feel like a fish out of water, I too had a very difficult time interviewing my father and getting him to talk about his father (my grandfather). It was interesting to read that we've as a family have always focused on my fathers maternal lineage, as in your case. Awesome post, your in-depth description was amazing!!!! Regretfully i found myself editing my sentences when i was doing my blog to remove my personal biases towards certain family members, I commend you on your post.

    ReplyDelete